1.8.22 shady grove fire

An elderly man escaped his burning home in Shady Grove, with help from his neighbors, after a candle caught it on fire Wednesday morning.

An elderly man escaped his burning home in Shady Grove, with help from his neighbors, after a candle caught it on fire Wednesday morning. Charles Wilson was shaving when his son yelled that the house was on fire, according to the report from the Jones County Fire Council.

Neighbors reportedly helped him escape through the back door. There was

no electricity in the home after a tree fell on it Sunday. Unattended candles are believed to be the cause of the fire. The home at 4461 Highway 15 North was engulfed in flames when volunteers from Shady Grove and Sharon responded to the report at about 10:15 a.m.

They immediately began a defensive attack and prevented flames from spreading to nearby structures. The Jones County Sheriff's Department also responded to the incident and will be investigating. 

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.